Why it’s important to exercise
During the cooler months being motivated to train may have been very hard, it was chilly and wet and all you wanted to do was head home, rug up and watch your favourite TV shows - the Bachelor anyone?!! I know how appealing that may sound but with summer around the corner it is best to read the following to see why it so important to exercise on a regular basis to help improve your life in so many ways!!!
1. It will improve your memory: Not only is your brain getting more energy and oxygen, studies have shown exercise boosts your memory and helps you learn easily.
2. You will have better posture: Good posture is so important and with many of us sitting at a desk all day, this can lead to tightening of muscles and joints which ultimately leads to injury. Regularly exercising key muscle groups is associated with good posture like your abs and back and will go a long way to ensuring you stay as upright as possible!
3. It will boost your confidence: Exercise will make you feel more accomplished and social when you work out with other people. Even if you don’t see immediate results, the effort you put into your training will make you feel better and that confidence can translate into all aspects of your life.
4. You’ll DE stress: Lets face it, life can get hectic at times and we all go through the occasional rough day. Stress can really play with your mind, but studies have shown that exercise is a great way to combat it. Not only does exercise produce kick ass endorphins which naturally fights away the stress, exercise will take your mind off what you’re stressing about!
5. You’ll sleep better: Have trouble falling asleep? EXERCISE! The National Sleep foundation says regular exercise helps you sleep better. The best time to work out is in the morning or afternoon, rather than later at night – as it can actually have the opposite effect! After a tough workout your body is tired and needs to rest and replenish from a tough day on the track so let it - turn off electronic devices an hour before bed and dream of your rock hard abs!
6. You’ll have more energy: It may not make sense since you actually burn energy while you exercise but regular exercise can make you feel more energized throughout the day. One study found that exercising in the middle of the day can leave you feeling more energetic and productive for the rest of your afternoon.
7. You’ll get sick less often: No one likes being sick and exercise is a natural way to fight off those bad bacteria. People who exercised regularly were half as likely to get a cold. Great odds…. Which way to the Qmax area!!!!
8. You’ll live longer: Now I don’t know about you but I’m keen to live around long enough to see flying cars so look out for me in the weights area with my Zimmer frame at the ripe old age of 100!! One study found exercise improves life expectancy as much as quitting smoking. The sedentary lifestyles we now lead are slowing killing us. Get your butt off the couch and keep the reaper at bay!
As we can see there are so many amazing reasons you should be exercising on a regular basis. If you want to live a long and healthy life, get yourself into a FIT N FAST near you and exercise! I promise you it will be the best decision you’ll make today!!
Jamie De Abreu
Senior Personal Trainer - Southland in Cheltenham Vic.